Back Exercises For Beginning Bodybuilders
From a bodybuilder's perspective one of the most important body areas
is the back. Not only can it be visually impressive but a strong back
is essential for intensive training and day to day living. In bodybuilding
you are aiming for three things with regard to developing the back
- Thickness of the upper back (traps).
- Wide lats.
- Highly defined lower back (spinal erectors and lower lats).
As a beginner there are five essential exercises for developing these
1. Dumbbell shrugs - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will develop
2. Seated V-bar cable rows - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise
will develop the mid upper back.
3. Bent over barbell rows - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will
add thickness to the upper back.
4. Pullups - Aim for 25 reps. This exercise will strengthen the entire
5. Pulldowns - 3 sets of 10-15 reps. This exercise will define the
As with all exercises you need to take care in scheduling specific
body parts. To begin with you should incorporate your back exercises
into a program similar to the one suggested below:
Day 1: Biceps, Back, Abs
Day 2: Hamstrings, Shoulders, Abs
Day 3: Quads, Forearms, Calves
Day 4: Triceps, Chest, Abs
For the first couple of weeks complete one set but then add one set
each week to a maximum of three. At the end of three months you will
be ready to move on to more intensive intermediate level exercises.
Richard Mitchell is the creator of the
website that provides guidance and information to athletes at all
levels of bodybuilding experience. Go to
to learn more about the issues covered in this article.