Abdominal Exercises For Beginning Bodybuilders.
The abdomen contains the muscles that most beginners struggle with
because they take a long time to develop and need a low level of body
fat to be seen. The abdominal muscle group consists of three main
1. Rectus abdominis - commonly known as the abs, this is a large
flat muscle wall that runs from the lower chest to the pubic bone.
2. Obliquus abdominis - commonly known as the obliques, this muscle
runs diagonally along the side of the mid-section from the lower ribcage
to the pubic area. The internal obliques lie underneath the external
3. Transversus abdominis - this is a thin strip of muscle that runs
horizontally across the abdomen.
You can target these muscles effectively by performing the following
1. Crunches - 3 sets of 15-20 reps. This exercise will work the upper
2. Pelvic tilts - 3 sets of 15-20 reps.This exercise will target
the lower portion of the abdomen below the navel.
3. Side bends - 3 sets of 15-20 reps. This exercise will work the
As with all exercises you need to take care in scheduling specific
body parts. To begin with you should incorporate your abdominal exercises
into a program similar to the one suggested below:
Day 1: Biceps, Back, Abs
Day 2: Hamstrings, Shoulders, Abs
Day 3: Quads, Forearms, Calves
Day 4: Triceps, Chest, Abs
For the first couple of weeks complete one set but then add one set
each week to a maximum of three. At the end of three months you will
be ready to move on to more intensive intermediate level exercises.
Richard Mitchell is the creator of the
website that provides guidance and information to athletes at all
levels of bodybuilding experience. Go to
to learn more about the issues covered in this article.